Sunday, September 18, 2011

Alone Time Interview 1

Hello again Sam~
 
First let me say that I am glad to hear that you enjoyed small group this summer.  It was definitely a very positive experience for me as well!
 
Next, I thought about how to best answer your questions, and here's what I came up with...
 
1)  What I think about the most when I am alone--Definitely an interesting question.  If I'm being honest with myself, my reply would be that usually when I'm alone I end up thinking about what I'm not happy with in my life.  There seems to be an unspoken, unofficial milestone chart for life (at least, in my opinion there's one, especially for women), and when I'm alone, my thoughts tend to drift to what I've not accomplished on that "list".  Strange, I guess, because in general I'm usually a very positive person, but when I'm alone, I end up being very hard on myself.  I'm trying to be more intentional, though, about turning my negative perceptions of my life into positives.  For example, job-wise I am not in a place where I would like to be, but I also realize that by doing what I'm doing now, I have the time to finish my masters degree and to be involved with different church programs, which I enjoy very much.
 
2) Motivation to spend time alone--What motivates me to spend time alone is a desire to escape the stress of everyday life; a desire to be intentional about spending time in prayer with God--not just talking to Him, but also listening to Him.  I dread spending time alone because I know that I have the tendency to basically throw myself a pity party.  I am motivated, though, to spend more time alone out of a determination to be more focused on the now; to neither look back on the past with frustration and anger, nor to look ahead to the future with worry and doubt.  I want to be more intentional about enjoying where I am now.  (Notice that I've used the word "intentional" pretty often :o)
 
I hope I've been able to help to help you and Jordan.  I also hope my thoughts make sense; if you need clarification on any point, just let me know.  You are definitely welcome to use what best works for the blog.  If I can ever help you again, just let me know!
 
Be safe and enjoy your travels!
I'll be in touch!
 
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment